Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means we may receive a commission if you click a link or make a purchase. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details. Thank you!
One of my family’s favorite meals (except for my youngest), one I kinda stole and tweaked a bit from my mom, is Shrimp Scampi. Yummy, buttery, garlicy, shrimp scampi. I have one memory from when I was younger (like 30-ish years ago younger…ugh), and the power had gone out while my mom was in the middle of making it one night. That batch of scampi was finished of over the fire in the fireplace that night.
Now if you decide to make this, plan on using butter, lots of butter. I usually use a full stick per 2lbs of shrimp.
- 2+lb peeled, de-veined shrimp
- 1 egg
- 1 T milk
- 3-4 c flour
- 1 T garlic powder
- 3-4 c vegetable or canola oil
- 1 stick butter, melted
- garlic salt
- Put oil into a large skillet to heat on medium high.
- Thaw, peel, de-vein shrimp and place in a large bowl.
- Combine egg and milk, pour over shrimp. Stir.
- Combine flour and garlic powder in a gallon-sized bag.
- Take 1 or 2 handfuls of the shrimp and place in bag, seal and shake.
- Shake off excess flour mixture and place shrimp one at a time into the hot oil. Fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side until pink and crispy.
- Remove shrimp from oil and place on a large cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bread and fry the rest of the shrimp. Once they are all on the cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt to taste. Pour melted butter over shrimp.
- Turn oven to broil. Broil shrimp for about 3 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Return to oven and broil for another 3 minutes.
- Serve with steamed veggies and rice or noodles.